MH17 attack update : Victims begin journey home from Ukraine
Wednesday, 23 July 2014 - 14:02
The first planes carrying victims' bodies from crashed flight MH17 have left Ukraine for the Netherlands, where experts will begin to identify them.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte will meet the planes in Eindhoven, amid a national day of mourning.
A total of 200 bodies have so far been accounted for from the 298 victims, 193 of whom were Dutch nationals.
The US says it believes pro-Russian rebels shot down the Malaysia Airlines passenger plane on 17 July by mistake.
The rebels, who control the area around the crash site, have also been accused of stalling the release of the bodies and tampering with evidence.
A refrigerated train carriage carrying about 200 bodies arrived at the government-held city of Kharkiv on Tuesday, four days after the crash.
Experts said they would continue to search the crash site.
International monitors said body parts still lay scattered at eastern Ukraine's unsecured crash site of downed flight MH17, as Dutch experts said they were given 80 fewer corpses than promised by the rebels.
Pro-Russian insurgents said they had released the bodies of 282 victims after they were sent by refrigerated train to the government-controlled town of Kharkiv, some 300 kilometres to the northwest.
But Dutch experts now in possession of the corpses said they had only counted 200 on the morgue train.
Flight MH17 was apparently brought down by a missile on Thursday with 298 people on board, including 193 Dutch citizens.
Western leaders have complained that rebels have been tampering with vital evidence at the site.