Sanath takes responsibility for Lanka’s failure in India
Tuesday, 18 November 2014 - 14:10
The chairman of selectors Sanath Jayasuriya has taken responsibility for Sri Lanka’s 5-0 thrashing in India following the sudden decision to make the tour, Just after West Indies pulled out from the tour over pay dispute.
Addressing the Parliament on the Sports Ministry’s budgetary allocations Jayasuriya said, ”There is no need to blame the Sports Minister and all others, I take the responsibility”.
Jayasuriya’s former skipper Arjuna Ranatunga, another Parliamentarian, had earlier held the entire cricket hierarchy including the Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage and skipper Angelo Mathews responsible for the unprecedented 5-0 thrashing. He said the result would have a demoralising effect on the team’s World Cup preparations.
The local media reacted to the disastrous results with screaming headlines such as ‘RIP Sri Lanka Cricket’, ‘Whitewashed’.