Celebrations of the Launch of “TRISTAN’S CONQUEST – KNIGHTS OF OLYMPUS” by A.R.Jayathilaka
Tuesday, 16 September 2014 - 12:26
“TRISTAN’S CONQUEST – KNIGHTS OF OLYMPUS”, Sri Lanka’s first contemporary epic fantasy series authored by A.R.Jayathilaka is scheduled to be unveiled on the Thursday, 18th September 2014 (6 pm onwards) at the “Crescebdo”, Nelung Arts Centre,( 81, HYDE PARK CORNER).
'Seven unlikely heroes, four mysterious islands, one ruthless demon, would you risk everything for a belief? Await the seductive arrival'.
Some Facts about the Book:
The book, written in English, is published by Bay Owl Press under Perera Hussein Publishing House, publishers of Gratien prize winning / shortlisted authors and winners of international awards.
1. An educative mix of mythical and classical civilisation, magic, and global contemporary issues such as social equality, philosophy, humanitarian values and morals are woven through Knights of Olympus, in an accessible, compelling and entertaining way.
2. The genre of contemporary epic fantasy fiction is growing in popularity both globally and in Sri Lanka through popular international books, TV shows and movies.
3. Knights of Olympus bears the genre of contemporary epic fantasy with a touch of local flavour, which has never been explored before by a Sri Lankan author. This makes it ground-breaking, the first of its kind.
4. Knights of Olympus promotes English reading to young adults and it is hoped that the series inspires more Sri Lankans to read locally authored works of fiction.
5. The book brings another dimension of variety to the range of Sri Lankan literary works currently in the market, and is expected to propel a new era of writing possibilities for potential authors in the country.
A. R. Jayatilaka (Ashan) was born on October 12, 1985 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Ashan is an avid writer and reader, with a particular interest in the fantasy genre.
He grew up with a huge assortment of books for company, often getting through multiple books a day. Enid Blyton, Agatha Christie, R. L. Stine, John Grisham, Tom Clancy, Jeffrey Archer, C. S. Lewis, Stephen King, and more recently, J. K. Rowling, J. R. R. Tolkien, and George R. R. Martin, have all occupied privileged places on his bookshelves, and have now mostly been passed on to the next generation of Jayatilakas.
His interest in writing projects, big or small, began with English term-test essays, writing short stories for fun, and burning the midnight oil with work-related and freelance projects.
A graduate of Colombo International School (1987 – 2003), a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree from the Australian College of Business and Technology, and an Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, he entered the corporate sector to put his passion for professional and creative writing to task.
Most recently he began writing his first fiction novel – Tristan’s Conquest: Knights of Olympus, the first of a fantasy trilogy - based on a series of loosely connected nightmares, and the promise of a great story.
After writing the book in 2010, Ashan worked with PH Books (Perera Hussein Publishing) for over two years of subsequent editing.
Perera Hussein Publishing, publishers of Gratien prize winning / shortlisted authors and winners of international awards have now published Tristan’s Conquest: Knights of Olympus under the PH Books brand Bay Owl Press.
Tristan’s Conquest is the first Sri Lankan contemporary epic fantasy series to hit bookshelves.