Ebola outbreak confirmed by DR Congo
Monday, 25 August 2014 - 10:33
The Democratic Republic of Congo has confirmed that an outbreak of haemorrhagic fever in the north of the country has been identified as Ebola.
Health Minister Felix Numbi told that tests on two people had confirmed the disease in Equateur province, where 13 had already died.
But he said the deaths occurred in an isolated area and the disease seemed a different strain to West Africa's.
Dr Numbi said a quarantine zone was being set up to contain the disease.
The cases are the first reported outside West Africa since the outbreak there began.
So far 1,427 people have died from the virus.
The speed and extent of the outbreak has been "unprecedented", the World Health Organization (WHO) says.
An estimated 2,615 people in West Africa have been infected with Ebola since March.
24 June 2017 - 8:50 am
23 June 2017 - 12:42 pm
23 June 2017 - 12:27 pm