UN says investigation will be carried further despite being denied visas to SL
Wednesday, 20 August 2014 - 14:41
The United Nations has insisted that its investigation into alleged war crimes in Sri Lanka will go ahead despite being told it will be denied visas.
Earlier, President Mahinda Rajapaksa has reportedly stated said the UN team would be refused entry because only Sri Lankan authorities could investigate the allegations.
The UN decided earlier this year to investigate alleged crimes committed by government forces and Tamil rebels.Sri Lanka has refused to co-operate with the Human Rights Council inquiry. But UN Human Rights chief Navi Pillay said her team would be able to use technology as internet phone service Skype and satellite imagery, to carry out its investigation.
She referenced “highly credible” reports on abuses in Syria produced by her team despite not being allowed on the ground and said they would be able to do the same in Sri Lanka.
However, President Rajapaksa has insisted that only Sri Lankan authorities could investigate the war crimes allegations.The government has repeatedly denied that it committed war crimes and asserts that the inquiry is prejudiced.