Bastille Day truck attack: French president denounces 'monstrous' killing of 80 people
Friday, 15 July 2016 - 8:18
Hours after the Nice attacks, the French president François Hollande reiterated the war-like stance that he took after the last terrorist attacks that killed 130 in Paris in November.
“All of France is under threat from Islamist terrorism,” he said, vowing that France would not give in in its “fight against terrorism”.
He said the state of emergency put in place in November — which allows police to conduct house raids and searches without a warrant or judicial oversight, and gives extra powers to officials to place people under house arrest — would be extended by three months. This means the state of emergency will have been in place for almost a year since November.
He also said he would boost the military operation, known as Operation Sentinelle, in which 10,000 soldiers keep guard across the country, and reservists would be drafted in to help security forces. Hollande added that he would reinforce air strikes on Iraq and Syria, where it has been fighting Islamic State.
The mood could not be more serious for Hollande. The fact that France could be attacked again — leaving at least 80 dead — only eight months after the devastating November attacks on Paris, threatens a crisis for Hollande’s premiership. The fact that several children were among the dead has deepened France’s horror and grief. In the coming days, there is likely to be intense political debate about intelligence and security policy. The 2017 French presidential election is nine months away and security had already been a key voter concern.