Thor and Prometheus sequels to be filmed in Australia
Friday, 23 October 2015 - 13:32
Two Hollywood blockbuster sequels will be filmed in Australia with the backing of A$47m ($34m; £22m) in federal funds.
Speaking in Canberra, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said the filming of the next Thor and Alien movies would inject A$300m into the economy.
She said it would also give a significant boost to tourism.
Australian actor Chris Hemsworth made an appearance in a pre-recorded video message, where he confirmed his role in the next Thor film.
Although the exact locations are yet to be confirmed, filming on Marvel Comic's Thor: Ragnarok is expected to begin next year.
Federal Arts Minister Mitch Fifield said Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull had taken a minute-by-minute interest in the project.
Mr Turnbull made headlines when he snapped a selfie with Hemsworth during the AFL Grand Final in Melbourne earlier this month.
It was accompanied by the caption: "Good to meet Chris Hemsworth today - talked about the contribution of the creative sector to our economy. But a bit weird he insisted on me calling him Thor."
The Alien film will be the sixth in Ridley Scott's series. It is expected to be a sequel to his 2012 movie Prometheus.
Ms Bishop has said the recent production of Pirates of the Caribbean, on the Gold Coast, saw $160m flow into the Australian economy, and created 2,600 jobs
23 March 2017 - 10:13 am
22 March 2017 - 9:11 am
21 March 2017 - 9:00 am