Australia plans tougher controls on teen terror suspects
Tuesday, 13 October 2015 - 9:13
In the wake of a deadly shooting incident earlier this month, Australia is planning to tighten counter-terror laws which includes restricting the movements of suspects as young as 14.
Australia on Tuesday (Oct 13) outlined plans to tighten counter-terrorism laws further, including restricting the movements of suspects as young as 14 in the wake of a deadly attack by a teenager this month.
Attorney-General George Brandis said a fifth instalment of the legislation had been drawn up and would be introduced to parliament in coming weeks.
It follows Farhad Jabar, a radicalised 15-year-old, shooting police employee Curtis Cheng in the back of the head in Sydney while reportedly shouting religious slogans before being gunned down by police.
"The new laws will, among other things, lower the age at which a control order can be applied from 16 to 14 years of age," Brandis said in a statement.